Thursday, April 3, 2008

Teaching Tools

The Teaching Tools resource presents wonderful lesson plans that are sorted by grade levels. One particular lesson plan for students in grade 6 through 8 is titled "ABC Bookmaking Builds Vocabulary in the Content Areas." This lesson plan offers a great hands-on and interactive opportunity for students to aid them become familiar with vocabulary in a variety of contexts. This lesson plan also provides wonderful worksheets to aid in the implementation of this lesson plan. (http://www.reading.org/resources/tools/lessons/276.html)
I also like the book choices that are offered to the students. They are sorted by level and then year. This would be a great resource for students to use for their independent or required reading.
(http://www.reading.org/Library/Retrieve.cfm?D=10.1598/JAAL.51.3.6&F=JAAL-51-3_YAC.html)
Along the same lines, the book lists are generated by both teachers and students. One text that I found interesting was Autobiography of My Dead Brother by Walter Dean Myers. This was categorized under the Young Adult's Choices list. Another text that would be a great supplement to my current teaching unit is Anne Frank and the Children of the Holocaust by Carol Ann. This was categorized under the Teachers' Choices 2007 list. Lee.(http://www.reading.org/Library/Retrieve.cfm?D=10.1598/RT.61.3.7&F=RT-61-3_TC.html)

2 comments:

jen said...

I liked the website that talked about the books for children. I've been searching for a good narrative book to have my students respond to. I've found it on the website you suggested - the Eve Bunting book called One Green Apple. Thank you!! You've saved me a ton of work!

Tara T. said...

Your review was extremely helpful and detailed. I will def. use the lesson you suggested with my students. Thanks!!!!